Sunday, January 2, 2011

GRATITUDE

Some time ago, I had a deep conversation with one of my sister/friends about gratitude.  She wanted to start a special project between us and our friends where we would weekly email one another at least one thing we were grateful for. 

The project never got off the ground because life got in the way but I never forgot about it. Periodically, I would visit the topic in my mind and list out what I feel very grateful for in my life.  I especially like to do this little exercise when I’m feeling very negative about how things are going or when I’m feeling excessively critical.

As I recently wrote to a friend, I can take inventory with the best of them – which usually only makes a bad state of mind or circumstances worse instead of better.  I tend to give into the feelings of powerlessness and hopelessness when in this mode. 

Although I usually take stock of my life around my birthday instead of at the turn of the year I had a recent experience that has lead me to issue the challenge that will unfold in this issue of my blog.  When the little peeps moved into my world full time – I searched for ways to stay connected to family and friends.  I started sending cards and letters as a way to unwind and to stay connected.  One of my favorite things in the world is to get a letter from my sister/friend.  It is her family’s practice to send snail mail and I count it all joy to get a letter or note from her or her mother.

I found certain stores that I began enjoying and have a little route of stores I visit.  I’ve been most sadden by the closure of my favorite $1 store (use to be next to Big Lots).  I recently had to pay full price vs. my customary $1 for stationery – what an eye opener!  I found a certain treasure about gratitude on one of these little journeys.  I bought it and saved it to send to her for Christmas.    

Now, I want to show you how God works
I was moving real slow this year (the reason why is the topic for another blog on another day) and missed my personal deadline of the 15th for getting my yearly update letter and pictures in the mail.  I did manage to accomplish this feat by the 20th.  She didn’t retrieve her mail until after Christmas and we discussed the little gift that seemed to bring her great joy the following week.  On the 30th I received a card and letter from her that was dated the 17th (long before I even got my gift to her in the mail) explaining and sharing all of the blessings she’d been given during the year. 

As you know, I’m rarely left without something to say (my father tells me I could talk someone to death – smile – poor fella – but he still takes my calls) but I find these encounters have a way of leaving me speechless and in awe; at the same time I was thinking about how precious she is in my life – she was thinking the same thing about me!   At some point, the messages passed in the mail. 

I’m always humbled when I recognize God moving and working on my behalf.  It amazes me that that he cares, wants a personal relationship with me, responds in my times of need (sometime via miracles and sometime through my family and friends) – despite the fact that even on my best days I could still stand to be a much better person.  When I expect it least or need it the most – God always sends someone to let me know I’m loved and appreciated.   

Some of what I’m grateful for
·        Knowing the Most High, his Beloved Son & the Holy Spirit – I have hope
·        My family (blood and adopted) – no one can work a nerve like them but nothing feels more like home without them; I have good relationships with my three parents, my children, nieces/nephew, grandchildren, etc…
·        My friends who share their lives and experiences with me and allow me to do the same – this eases the loneliness that sneaks up from time to time
·        My health – I recognize this is shifting but my Grandmother told me to hold on to it for all I’m worth because it is valuable
·        For gainful employment – I’m often frustrated on the job and I could do a much better job with money management – but I’m grateful and God is working with me on these issues
·        For all the help and encouragement that is given with the little peeps – it humbles my soul and fills my heart

The Challenge
I’m sure if we were to agree to send something weekly regarding what we feel grateful for we would soon fall off the wagon – LIFE WILL GET IN THE WAY.  But, I want to CHALLENGE you to post some of the things you’re grateful for to this blog and to revisit and post again anytime you find yourself in-between-a-rock-and-a-hard place.  I believe if we think on the positive (this doesn’t mean not taking appropriate action when needed) we will be encouraged!

“Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.”  Philippians 4:8 KJV

No comments:

Post a Comment