Tuesday, March 8, 2011

YONDER

Someone I know and admire moved over to glory.  I have been sad this week (come on now - even Jesus wept).  I just find it hard to comprehend that I won’t be seeing her around town anymore.  I won’t get to give her a little hug and hear her infectious laugh.

I find it hard to digest that her beautiful smile and vivacious personality is not readily accessible.  My heart goes out to her grandson, children, family & friends.  If I, on the sidelines, feel this depth of loss – I’m not able to come close to grasping the void they surely feel. 

I don’t know about you but from time to time, I’ve met people that leave me with no doubt that the world is safer; a better place because they exist.  She was this kind of person.

I had the pleasure of knowing her as we grew from children into women and mothers.  We also learned of a family connection but I’d always felt a kind kinship with her.  I was so pleased to share a Grandmother with her who showed us the same love and acceptance. 

My child is one of her children’s friends.  I do have some joy in knowing that I told her several months ago what a good job she’d done with her children and the fact that I could clearly see the lovely young woman her baby has grown to be. 

I prayed to God on her behalf that His Will be done with the understanding we were expecting a miracle – whatever the form – according to his Will.  God was already working.

I had the opportunity to visit her three times while we waited.  I wanted very badly to read her a certain story from the collection of folklore in Virginia Hamilton’s book called The People Could Fly.  But, I kept managing to get to my visits without the book. 

See, I knew she would really appreciate the story titled the same as the book.  It is a beautiful tale about slaves “remembering the magic words” to give them back the ability to fly.  On the day of my last opportunity to visit this side of heaven, I actually got the book in the car but I didn’t make it to the hospital.  She moved to Glory in the early hours of the following morning.

 A week before her transition, I awoke to a text message from my cousin telling me to check my facebook page.  She’d stepped out her front door and was greeted by the two following pictures.  She was moved to dedicate these to me, my friend and anyone else facing a challenge.  God was working (such sweet gifts encourage me to keep going).

Trust Jesus
God Loves U

Miracles
I heard tell that a nurse commented that she’d never seen anything like what happened around this sister.  The nurse put the number of visitors in the thousands (I don’t know if her count was accurate I just know the girl knew a great many folks) and that just observing all that was going on – that this woman who never woke up and uttered a word had so many people coming to see about her – caused her to begin to re-evaluate her personal relationship with the Almighty. 

I saw a great many folks from ALL walks of life at the visitation.  I also saw her children managing well.  I’ve heard from more than one person how healthy and golden she looked; “almost glowing.”

I guess she didn’t need my little story (smile) – her story was a much better one; one of kindness, caring, acceptance, encouragement, concern, peace, laughter, joy, kinship, family, forgiveness & love; A reflection of God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Ghost?  You tell me.  All I know is God is working.      

In the mean time, I’m going to think on what meaning I want my life’s story to tell and try to get busy living it – while there is still time.  I encourage you to do the same.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOVvbGTxrM4I’m going to fly away

 

1 comment:

  1. Precious simply precious! My heart is with you my sister! God bless

    ReplyDelete