Monday, February 14, 2011

THE DAY OF "LUV"

I recently received the following link from my “LUV teacher;”   http://blog.beliefnet.com/inspirationreport/2011/02/a-new-way-to-celebrate-valentines-day.html.  While I found this to be interesting reading, I didn’t see any personal message for myself as I make a conscious effort to take good care of and show great love for myself.  Also, let’s face it – Valentine’s Day is meant for love between intimate partners.  There is a big difference between being wished a happy valentine's day vs. being asked to be someone's valentine.   

I recently read somewhere that Hallmark Cards has 6000+ cards in their valentine collection (okay – it came from my Real Simple Feb 2011 magazine – I love this magazine).  I love the thought of love!  One of my most favorite past times is to collect the “LUV Stories” of couples.

Did you know that Valentine’s Day is the second biggest mail day of the year (second only to Christmas)?  In 2010, it was estimated that people would spend $103 each on Valentine Day and in 2009 there was $14.7million spent on observing/celebrating “LUV.”   

I have always celebrated this cute little day with my children and in recent years have extended this to my friends (okay sister/friends – I’m not gonna make it this year – the day sneaked up on me).  I’ve encouraged my son to always give his sister a flower on this day and plotted historic hot dates with my “LUV” if I was in relationship on the “LUV” day (and truth be told not always only on that day if I was feeling “LUV” for a brotha).  

However, I’ve often remarked, for a number of years, that it is during the “LUV” holiday I’ve come to question whether or not I’ve ever been “in love.”  I go to the stores and I spend a lot of time reading the cards produced for one to give to their “beloved.”  When I read those cards I hear Pepe’ Le Pew “LUV”

I have it on good authority that I don’t have the patience nor his stick-to-it-ness pursuit ability of Mr. Le Pew.  (Now, for the record, I’ve been stalked a time or two and it’s not a laughing matter – something to be discussed at another time – and Pepe’ strikes me as the stalker type.)   

I’ve never felt bitterness about this day whether I had a “beloved” or not (until last night that is when I was forced to help the little peeps with many little valentines for their celebrations today).  In fact, I feel/felt pleased and excited for those with a “beloved” whether I had a “beloved” or not.  Perhaps I’ve questioned whether or not I’ve ever been “in love” because the type of love I see in the cards and demonstrated by our society in the name of romantic love (expect for the De Beers commercial when he shouts “I LOVE THIS WOMAN” into a crowd of mostly strangers – COM’ON NOW – that is a great commercial!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEal7psOpP0&NR=1 ) doesn’t resemble the soul-mate love I long for. 

Now, while I’ve been waiting to connect to my soul-mate, I have attempted to make good use of my time by doing some self work.  I mean I don’t want to have mountains and mountains of baggage that could interfere with our togetherness – once we connect & lock – right?  I wanted to step up my personal game so I would be an appropriate mate for my “beloved” versus being a burden (financially, emotionally, mentally, etc…). 

I also began to truly consider what I need/want in a relationship.  Unfortunately at this time in my life, I’ve found more of what I can’t live with versus what I can live with – smile.  I also took the following quiz and much to my relief found that although I haven’t found my lasting ““LUV”” connection – I’ve always felt love the same way (if you do something to make my day go easier – it must be love – right?): 
http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.selectsmart.com%2FFREE%2Fselect.php%3Fclient%3D5lovelanguages&h=68464khqIt-jYQM5HO7KuteZR5g.  I too think sometimes we love others the way we feel loved and we miss their boat all together.  So you may consider offering the above link to your prospective “beloved” too. 

I’ve attempted to work on my communication.  (If my son has taught me nothing else – he’s taught me just how different male and female communication styles can be!)  Okay, on a more serious note, contrary to popular belief, I’m actually an introvert vs extrovert.  This coupled with the fact that I do a lot of thinking in my own head means that I’m often not on the same page with others.  I get on others nerves because in my effort to make sure I really know what is being discussed – I ask lots of questions – smile. 

So for those of you with a “beloved” and hot plans for tonight – I’m wishing you a very happy loved filled day and evening with your life’s partner; and for those of you, such as myself, who haven’t  connected with your life’s partner yet - I’m wishing you inner peace and success in the future. 

HAPPY ST. VALENTINES DAY!


     



    



3 comments:

  1. Very nice! I have a beloved, but can't be with him yet again. And I totally understand what you mean by, wondering if you were ever 'in love'. I think I may have been twice, but not sure, does high school sweet heart count? LOL!! But I know not only have I found my love now, but my soul mate too! He's my angel and so thankful he's came into my life! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Toiann. I wish you much success in finding your "true luv". Maybe he will find you...even better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cousin - let me be honest with you - I've been alone a long time and question my flexibility in creating room in my life. So, with that being said - he will have to be the one doing the looking and the finding - I'm too busy trying to hold this body together! smile

    ReplyDelete